Monday, July 01, 2013

POEM - Music Made it Better

Driving to Greenville on business
The tiny rental car moves smoothly
I forgot my auxiliary cord
No Pandora this trip
But at least there is a CD player
And I snagged Max’s stash from the car

Just after switching out discs
Trading the Black Keys
For Prince’s Greatest Hits
I started getting a jones for breakfast
Nothing greasy or McFast-food
The answer was a Subway
Tucked into the corner of the truck stop
Serving sandwiches 24 hours
Perfect way to get some veggies

The lady at the counter was happy
Made a good sandwich
Lots of spinach
Onions and bell peppers
Banana peppers and olives
Jalapenos and  lots of hot sauce

The fun started when I went to get a drink
Weighing my options
Looking for something non-carbonated
I hear the first chords of an old favorite
The long opening to that old Alarm song
“Rain in the Summertime” spills out
Of all the places to hear that song

So I took a while to get ice
Slowly filled my cup
With some citrus drink
Added some water
Kept listening to Mike Peters
Sing about that glorious feeling
Of the heat of the summer day
Falling away to the cleansing rain
As heavy clouds roll over
Drop the temperature
Block the sun

This song is a favorite
Wanted to just sit in the quickie mart
Hang out and take my time
The deadline of a meeting intruded
I was already running late
On this lovely July morning

Got back on the highway
Started chowing on my breakfast
Tucked some napkins in my collar
Confirmed it was a smart choice
When the next bite expelled hot sauce
Then the sun dimmed

And the rain broke through



No comments:

Post a Comment