Sunday, June 30, 2013

POEM - One-Eyed Jack has a Poufy Head

I got a little carried away
Shopping online one spring
See it was a money thing
Buying two dozen chicks
Was less than buying five
So I got creative

Filled in the order with various breeds
Both impressive and whimsical
There were eight Cuckoo Moran
Black with white polka dots
And dark chocolate brown eggs

Then a half dozen Amauricana
A South American jungle breed
Known as Easter egg chickens
They lay various colors of eggs
Green and blue and pink, etc

Then the classic Buff Orpingtons
A nice big yellow chicken
A heavy breed with light brown eggs
A good layer in all seasons

Then I needed a few more
I order some Mottled Houdan
Because they have a ridiculous crest
Looks like they have a big poufy head

Four months later they came
I called to warn the post office
They weren’t even fazed
Said they get goats all the time
The chicks were a nice change
The box was smaller than my last shoe box
I thought I was shorted
But they were all in there
With room to spare

Eventually we had thirty six
Through various means
And over half were roosters
So we had two pens
The boys club
And the ladies’ coop
Both got attacked and decimated
One awful day

I ended up with one Buff hen
Four Amauracana hens
And one Mottled Houdan rooster
I was happy I had those left
The Houdan was a little injured
Its eye was swollen and awful
But it grew over eventually

Too bad he was a jerk
The healthier he got
The more he tried to pick fights
Soon we were hoisting food over the fence
And I had a broom to fight him off
Whenever I went in the pen

All of that ended two weeks back
The bigger jerk dog got in
Ran him out into the yard
Broke his neck and left him dead
Ezra found his soupy carcass 3 days ago
Rotting in the deep grass
Nothing but ant infested bones
And the remnants of his pouf

            To let us know One-Eyed Jack was dead


No comments:

Post a Comment