Monday, May 20, 2013

POEM - You Know I Don’t Like Any of You, Right?


It is May 20th
The day my mother always points to
As the most important day of my life
It has been 42 years
I’m still not buying it
But I will try to be nice
Since it is her birthday

I like to remind her how old I am
Tell her that she is a grandmother
That her oldest child
            Now has a child
                        Old enough to have children
It’s a little reminder that her days are numbered
The great-grandchildren will arrive
And then it is done
            She will then be REALLY old!

Today I will call her with best wishes
She will say that my brothers called earlier
Were surprised I hadn't already
She will say that I am maturing
Not waking her at 3AM when I could have
I will laugh and dispel that thought
            “You haven’t checked Facebook then!”

I should be more grateful
This woman taught me many lessons
Like having a suspension of disbelief
When it comes to hair color
I thought blonde roots were dark brown
And my wife was a red head
Until well into my married life

Besides, I owe her a lot
For all the horrible things I did
Or taught other to do
That she has suffered through
            With good natured exasperation
And indefatigable love

It is what a mother will do
Despite tilting all of her pictures
To mess with her OCD
And moving everything just out of reach
            When she had a broken leg
All the fart sounds and throw-up
            And endless attempts to disgust        
She will always respond just right
Roll her eyes
            Expel a guffaw of disgust
                        Ask the heavens why her
Tell us just how much
She really doesn't like us




No comments:

Post a Comment