Sunday, May 12, 2013

POEM - A Ten Year Old Walks into the Liquor Store . . . or Fun at Grandma’s House!


Sometimes, years after it happens
You tell a story
Something innocent and normal
But you get weird looks
Like you are from another planet
At first you defend it
Assure them there are contextual elements
Things you had to be there to understand

But then you listen to what you are saying
Really listen with fresh ears
From their point of view
And then you hear it

Case in point:
            I was talking about grandma’s house
About playing down at the Catholic school
And being sent to Jerry's House of Spirits
            To get treats and candy
She looks at me incredulously
            “Let me get this straight,
                        Your parents would send you
to the liquor store?”
“Sure, they sent us all the time.”
            “How old were you?”
“No, it was OK, we were older
            At least ten or eleven.”
She just rolls her eyes
            I have to think about what I said
We used to go to the liquor store when we were ten

OK, I heard it that time
I see what you mean
“It wasn't like that” I protest
“My grandparents were friends with them.”
            “I bet they were!” she says sarcastically,
            “Best customers do often become friends!”

But I get it
            Things change and evolve
What was no big deal
            Isn't even heard of
Like smoking at work,
Duck and cover
            And kids in the liquor store
All the fun of yesterday washes away
            In a flood of pungent amber
                        And a puff of acrid smoke






No comments:

Post a Comment