Monday, May 27, 2013

POEM - Ahna’s Secret Song

This is probably not my story to tell
But I did participate
I know the interested parties
I was part of the secret

It all revolves around a game
Played by a couple
Which means it was played by Ahna
To the end of bothering Fletcher
A control thing maybe
            More likely just something to do

Ahna was cooler than her age
Probably had cool parents
Who never grew out of being hippies
She drove a tan Volvo
Full of music on the Blaupunkt
And a cavernous back seat

That’s where I first heard the song
Crammed into the back
With four or five others
Next to Fletcher and the skateboards
Both relegated to this position
Just out of reach of the stereo
The song playing and taunting Fletch
His search for a holy grail
Held at arm’s length

She dropped off Fletcher first
Let me move to the front seat
Handed me a tape when we drove off
A magnetically bound secret
With a look that said to keep it safe
My smile back showed that I would

At home and back in my room
Sitting in front of my stereo
Reading the words in the tape
Revealed the band was Aztec Camera
            I had never heard of them before
The song was entrancing
The lyrics a little more telling
I slid in the tape and pressed play
The guitar strummed out the chords
A voice flowed, sang and swirled
As the chorus revealed the game
“On every whisper that welcomes
            The inconceivable
                        And the birth of the true”

An idea born of suggestion
An inconceivable secret
Shared in whispers
Would give birth to a truth
Would discover who kept the secret
Who cherished the whisper
Sworn in by her knowing smile

Bound tight by the secret song






No comments:

Post a Comment