Tuesday, May 28, 2013

POEM - Mystery of the White Carnations

There were white carnations
Sitting on the front step
When I opened the door
Just a few in a vase
A small note with no name
My first secret admirer

I was readily confounded
A habit I keep up
When the situation warrants
I don’t look for hidden presents
Believe the premises in movies
Like the gifts only found
When they arrive by complete surprise

So I thought on it
Not too hard, but I thought
And thinking a thought I thought
Not of who it really was
But not of who it wasn’t either
Just confusion and shock
As if it was lightning
Nothing more and not again

But it was again
It happened at a dance
Perfect opportunity
To discover who she was
Everyone was there
I danced oblivious
Consumed in music
Until it stopped
For a public service announcement
From the admirer
The one still hidden from view
The one with the white flowers
That turned my face red

A third delivery of flowers
Revealed the hidden face
Of a former love
The last I thought it would be
Thought I had ended it badly
That we had devolved to apathy
Not enough spark even for hate
Just a dissolving
A drifting apart

A few flowers rekindled fire
And she was cute which didn’t hurt
She had kept the embers alive
From a fire I thought had passed
Took the hand of a silly boy
And showed him where they were
From palmers touch
To touch of holy lips
The star crossed lovers stopped
Held fast the moment
Forsook the poison

Decided to dance instead



No comments:

Post a Comment