Monday, May 13, 2013

POEM - Forensics . . . no, the Other Kind


I lettered in high school
In an activity I have to explain every time
It was forensics
And, no, I didn't cut up dead people
It was just speech and debate
I partook in the speech side
Namely poetry, imagine that
My piece was "The Cremation of Sam McGee"

I picked “Sam McGee” because it was macabre
I thought it was fun and unique
I typed it up,
            Mounted it on green construction paper
                        Proceeded to commit it to memory

I enjoyed moderate success with it
Until that one competition
Vividly that room floats
Through the recesses of my mind
The room of my discontent
Where my performance faltered and came apart

It was a portable classroom common in Arizona
The resident teacher had a crate of vinyl records
I was distractedly leafing through
Waiting for the round to commence
I found a rare Doors album
It was made after Morrison died
It was called “Other Voices”
It looked cheesy and awful
            Of course I wanted to hear it

The arrival of the  judge snapped me back
As the order was read
I was almost dead last
So much for being early

Just before the first student started
A last minute type sauntered in
Slung himself into a desk
            Was told he was next
When he got up the horror show began
He had picked my same poem
            And he was doing it better
I also realized I had missed some lines
            When I had typed it out
I had it memorized with a whole stanza missing

All I could think was that the story made more sense
            It was exponentially better with those lines
He totally brought the narrator to life
Engrossed in the masterful performance
            Watching Sam really come to life
                        I was utterly impressed
Despite my crushing disappointment
  
I wanted to forfeit right there
            Bury my head and rush out the door
But I liked performing too much
A junky hooked on hearing my own voice
I gave it my all
            Then ran out the door with my head buried
I ended up feeling like that Doors album
Incomplete, unheard and ignored

No comments:

Post a Comment