Sunday, May 05, 2013

POEM - The Go-Cart


The rural roads outside Corvallis
Lead in many directions
One is out into a little farm community
It is known as Philomath
            For unknown reasons
Somebody’s delusions of grandeur
That ended up being a few farming homesteads

I googled Philomath
            It doesn’t even come up first
It means a seeker of knowledge
            Perhaps that fits
                        A place of seekers, not possessors
It has a hopeful tint to it

When I lived there I was 6 or 7
            A committed seeker of trouble
I looked through the barn
            Met the cows and the tractors
Saw the hay in the shed
The wood pile under the house
The abandoned cages and pens

One day my dad showed me some lumber
He also showed me some machinery
An odd wheel or two
            And a length of rope
I was less aware in those days
Perhaps I had seen the materials before
But today I noticed and understood
We were building a go-cart

I’m sure it took some time to make
Though I don’t recall the waiting
One night I saw the parts
The next day I was sitting in the cart
Right at the top of the driveway
A gentle breeze nudging the grass
I held still
In taught anticipation
Bursting with potential energy
Half listening to my father
As he gave a few last minute tips

The release came like sunlight
My sense of reality altered instantly
As I headed down the dirt road
Gaining speed and avoiding death
I moved with grace and elation
Down, down, through the first flat
Over the last drop
            And into the main yard
Thrilled by the speedy descent
Impatiently dragging the cart up the drive
A passionate Philomath
            Seeker of thrilling knowledge

No comments:

Post a Comment