Monday, April 29, 2013

POEM - Work at Home Day


At the last second
My car refused to start
I was going to be distraught
Upset and put out
But this thing happened Sunday
An old lady read a story
A conversation with God
Where the person asks him why,
            Why everything went wrong
God says that in each instance he was there
Making things happen a certain way
Protecting the person from adversity

So, I let the car have its way
Decided to work from home
A spreadsheet is a spreadsheet
No matter which screen it is on

Still the question sits there
Hanging over the whole day
What did I miss?
            Which terrible thing might have happened?
I decided to take a survey
My bet was on gasoline
And that I probably had less than I thought
            And payday is tomorrow
So I would have been stranded

Claire was pretty sure I was going to crash
Run into a semi and get pushed off the over-pass
She can be so morbid
With her pixie-esque features
            And her delightful unaffected smile

Josie postured a different opinion
Thought I was headed for embarrassment
A guaranteed wardrobe malfunction
            As I bent to pick up a pencil
My pants were going to rip
            Right in front of my boss

Veronica was less dramatic
            She just said I would be lonely
Because I missed the puppies
I told her she need to stop smoking crack
And punted a puppy for effect

Max feared a technological threat
That my MP3 player would die
And tuneless, I would slowly deflate
Wallow and writhe in silent agony
For the lack of some fat beats

Ezra thought monsters might eat my leg
And the giant robot was going to blow up my building
After the evil ninja caused a magic tornado
To strike all the trees with lightning
That might have been exciting to see


I think Linda was right though
She said it was just one of those days
To work from home
Give your sweetie some hugs
Cook her some lunch
            And cover her in kisses

The kids all rolled their eyes
            But I like the way she thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment