Tuesday, April 23, 2013

POEM - Knot Right


Of all the things the physician who delivered me was
A boy scout he was not
Or should I say knot? With a “k”
As in he didn’t know how to tie one
I guess he did OK
As a bouncing baby boy
I did not deflate
Nor flatten or expire or leak out of that little puckering divot
That decommissioned birthmark,
Monument to motherhood

One, though, does expect,
Lives with a certainty
As solid as sun rise
That one’s belly button will not come undone
It’s just that thing you can count on

Gray hair may arise,
Your teeth may fall out,
Bones may falter
But the button will remained buttoned
It will adapt and stretch and grow
A living reliable fixture

Only, I guess I pushed the limits
One too many all-you-can eats on payday Friday
And my button started to leak
I thought it was just some left over water
In the deep maw of a chasm
My weight gain had created
But it was something more – a primordial ooze
            As if trying to reopen the abandoned tunnel
My gut appearing to abandon complacency
Dissatisfied with the capacity of my mouth
Has taken to making plans for a bypass
            A direct main line to the epicenter of engorgement

I took it as a sign
Abandoned the double-bacon-cheeseburger-large-fries-and-coke
Left a tip and walked out the door

Stopped by the book store
Bought a book on knots
Punched myself in the gut
Each time it gurgled a protest

No comments:

Post a Comment