Saturday, April 13, 2013

POEM - The Thief Under the Sand Box


My earliest memory is a traumatic one
This must be what sustains it
What gives it permanence
It involves a prized possession
            And a horrific monster

When I was two we lived in Wymount Terrace
Married student housing at BYU
Known affectionately as the “Rabbit Hutches”
It was a fun for me
            There was a sand box and swing set
All down just two flights of stairs

I had just received a shaving kit
Brand new for my birthday
I could now join my dad in the morning
And knock down that stubble with ease
I had to use my dad’s shaving cream
But the razor was all mine
            Finest plastic blade available
A little dull, but it did the job
            Clean shave, no nicks ever

One day I took the whole thing down to the sand box
Set up shop
            Waited for customers
                        And played in the bright sand
I was daydreaming a little when I saw it
Out of the corner of my eye
            I saw the sand start to give way
Some black spindly legs started to emerge
And my beloved razor vanished
            Drawn down to the depths of the pit below
I was horrified and distraught
            It was then that my mother called
Rotten timing, but what could I do?
            I gathered the shambles of my kit
                        Ran up the stairs
                                    Explained every detail to my mother
All to incredulous looks and general disbelief
I can’t blame her, I barely believed it myself

Years later I came to terms with what happened
I was able to let it go . . . a little
Accompanied my wife to her class one day
A family studies class in the Cowden
They were discussing different psychologists
When one in particular was explained
My story suddenly made sense
This guy Piaget talked about being kidnapped
Oddly enough, when he was two
            But he wasn’t. He thought he was, but it was fake
It was a story, that had been told convincingly
Then he had filled in the blanks
            Made the whole thing real

I think my razor was probably the same thing
            I lost it in another way
Buried it in the sand and forgot where
            So, I made up the other story
                        Maybe to avoid getting in trouble
                        Maybe I wasn’t supposed to take the set out
Then my mind filled in intricate, horrible details
            Yeah, that’s got to be it
            That must be what happen
Still, I’m not going in that sandbox again
            And I never more take my razor outside

No comments:

Post a Comment