Thursday, April 11, 2013

POEM - Not Quite Better Homes and Gardens


That place in Corvallis
Must have been a dive
Though it was probably called rustic
An old, tiny odd house
But I loved it there

I was five or six and oblivious
To the obvious flaws
Apparent to more discerning eyes
Those were the selling points
In my young world

All except the huge hole
In the floor of the mud room
I was certain a terrible fate
Lingered in the dark recesses
Romped and roamed in the crawlspace
Thought I saw a furry beast or two
Pop their head out and wink
Not quite human it was
But not all beast either

I would run by with wary eye
On my way to the better place
The small yard, overgrown and magical
It must have been old
I remember flowers and vines
And the whole back fence
Covered in blackberry bushes
That I gorged myself on
Whenever I got the chance
Indifferent to the scrapes
From jealous vines
Reticent to release the bumpy black fruit

If it was raining I was stuck inside
Left with limited options
To entertain myself
Tormenting my sister was a favorite
Until we would get separated

Alone, I would play with the ancient radiator
I used to lay my scraggly blond head
Against the cast iron tubes  
Until I smelled burning
Then I’d grasp the clump of singed hair
Now curly and orange
Fascinated by the transformation

No comments:

Post a Comment