Friday, April 19, 2013

POEM - I Screamed a Scream


What I remember was White Flag chanting
There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home
So where am I?
The only lyrics I could repeat of the few I could make out
Amidst a surreptitious immersion into punk
And I certainly wasn’t going to mention the Buzzcocks around my mother
Though I knew the songs by heart
Long  were the Tucson summers spent with the Jensen twins
Bruce played the clueless Wave-er
Wanting with all his heart to be Martin Gore
Belting out the dark lines of “Black Celebration”
Byron was polarly dissimilar in all but dates of birth
The consummate skate-rat wannabe rebel
Both had nerds for parents, both were bothered
Only Byron proved it as often as he could

This isn’t about them, they are vehicle, scene, backdrop
Them and the mismatched retro 50’s thru 70’s canvas
Displaying Early Christian Salvage décor of orange and earth-tones

This is 25 years later at 2AM on a Thursday
            2500 miles East of Tucson
Down a deserted South Carolina midlands byway
I’ve woken up once more to the realization that 40 came
The age of untrustability times two
On a very long day prior to another 2 very long days before some relief
Dog butt beat down dragging lazy falling to pieces punch drunk tired
I Flop down into the Blue Bomber ’83 Volvo GL
            Turn on my fancy new phone
                        Tap on the Pandora
                                    Dial in my past pleasures
The Circle Jerks station lights up the pre-pre-dawn night
            Trapped in my trusty old sedan
This will be the old scream-myself-home trick
                        Better than dying (better than fading out) better than it is to rust
And then that thing happens
            You know that thing. It’s that thing that makes poetry
The one that lets you know you timed it just right
Out of the pitch black night
            Amid the screams of Black Flag rhetoric
I am passed by a black hearse
                        Which seemed to materialize and then dissipate
From and to nowhere, perfectly
                        I could easily be convinced it didn’t even have headlights
  The moment was so right
                        So for me
                                    So punk rock

No comments:

Post a Comment