Friday, April 12, 2013

POEM - The Water Closet


Went to the new modern art museum
It had just opened and there were Calders
Even a couple of Warhol pieces
            Not the famous stuff
                        Some floating Mylar balloons he’d thought of
            Floating around a room aimlessly

The failing movie theater had converted
Reborn into a space for art to breathe
A new creature created by the new master
The architect had become a local star
This was his latest in a string of hits

I knew who he was from the library downtown
And because I had met his nemesis
I was delivering furniture to an amazing house
Tucked back in the Ahwatukee foothills
Looked almost like his stuff, but rounder
When we entered the second story bedroom
We were told to not worry
            The floor would hold us
The hallway floor was clear glass
            Butted up against a clear glass wall
Looking over the living room 20 feet below
I asked clumsily if this was a Bruder
The guy hung his head and shook
Like a prize fighter who is still standing
After a devastating right hook
"No man, it's mine! I designed this!"
I knew it wasn't quite Bruder’s style
Similar, but. Like I said, rounder

I told the story to my uncle
He's an architect too
He designed our house in Tucson
We were at the new museum
Discussing the art work and the building
I said "It's nice, but you know what was great?"
Without a pause he answered
"Yes, it was the restroom. Wasn't it great?"

That’s exactly right
The restroom was amazing
            Simplistic, architectural and masculine
Then he told me the thing,
The secret I thought only I knew
"You can really tell how good the architect is
by how cool the restrooms are.”

No comments:

Post a Comment