Saturday, April 27, 2013

POEM - Tragic Loss


The plan was to move to Utah
Oregon had crumbled
As the logging industry fell
We had tried to endure
But dad’s jobs had faltered as well
From recent grad landing a BLM contract
To a well-paid corporate trainer
To pump jockey at the corner gas station

So we bolted for Zion on possibilities
A professor gig at the U of U
Holed up in Dan and Kathy’s basement
While all the avenues were exhausted
Hanging with the cousins
It was a summer of tacos and rhubarb pie
And visits to the cabin in Flaming Gorge

By fall we were looking at a house
With a huge basement
            And my own room
I started in my new school
With the big 64 Crayon box
Grasped in my grubby 4th grade mitts

I was settling into life in Sandy
Caught up in the conspiratorial rumors
That the cafeteria fish served on Tuesdays
Were caught in the drainage ditch
Adjacent to the school parking lot

The day everything changed
            I was distractedly daydreaming
Waiting to be picked up
Deep in thought about pond fish
When my dad pulls up in the Silver Streak
My Uncle Dan’s project car of indeterminate origins
I jumped in the back, my first ride in the car
“How was school?”
            I probably said it was good
“We’re going to Arizona, son.”
            “For a vacation?”
“We’re moving there.”
            “When?
“Right now. Mom’s packing the car.
I already packed the moving van.”
“But I left my crayons . . . “
“Sorry . . . we’ll get you some in Arizona.”

But, you see, it was a new box
With the sharpener in the back
And I hadn’t been able to use it
Hadn’t gotten to fully explore
I had plans for those crayons
Even for the most  useless color
                        You know, the white one

I was distracted, perplexed
No one had discussed this with me   
By that night we were already on the road

As the miles rolled I gradually recovered
By the time I was peeking into the Grand Canyon
I was looking forward instead of back

The crayons stayed behind us too
            I’d pine for them occasionally
More for dramatic effect
Than for any real resentment
When my dad passed away I was 30
            Still waiting on the crayons
Willing to trade them for his return

Last summer my mother showed up to visit
She even brought gifts
I had by now turned 41
            I guess I was finally old enough now
To handle the responsibility
            Originally entrusted when I was 10
As I unwrapped the paper
            I found my long absent crayons
Replaced, restored, requited
 

No comments:

Post a Comment