Sunday, September 01, 2013

POEM - Painting Flowers

As an artist
It’s good to have an obsession
A go-to thing
A place to land when stuck

I paint flowers
Not real ones
Just generic representations
And it does nothing
For my poetry

All those dumb flowers
Just sit there
Mute splashes of color
Festering and taunting
Acting like they want to help
Assist in the dismissal
Of mental blockage

But I don’t write about flowers
That’s the Romantics
Garnished with knights
And chivalry and fair maidens
All that historical mysticism fantasy
Now dismissed
As archaic and non-topical
Unfit for the enlightened
Of the post-modern discipline

But I’m a modern
I believe in fantasy
And I like the lilting oration
Unabashed Shakespearian fare
And to make flowers appear
All over my waiting canvas

Flowers that would make a botanist weep

For the loss of reason
The artist must surely have suffered
I mean, these are crazy flowers, man
Genus and species a violation

Of all the rules of biology


No comments:

Post a Comment