Tuesday, September 10, 2013

POEM - Wonton Soup

The gray air sat
Motionless
On the shoulders of everyone
Bustling along
The busy Portland street

Fall tries so hard
To hold you in place
The set up for winter
When the crystal ice
Covers every stationary inch

I thought nothing of winter
My hand grasped tight
As my father led me along
We’d met him for lunch
Found him standing on the street
Awaiting our arrival
Just outside his office
Near the Lloyd District

We sought sustenance
In the Chinese restaurant
Nestled in the bottom corner
Of some old building
Bright and warm and welcoming
The cold, wet outside air
Clung to the windows
But got no further

The steam rose and gasped
While delightful smells circulated
Soon I received soup
Something new
Not the egg drop variety
I had become enamored of
This was thin and savory
With floating noodle triangles
As I bit into the slick noodles
There was a little surprise
A tasty little cube of pork

The sky tried hard to break in
Hurt by how easily we forgot
That just outside the window
A chill wind blew
Indifferent I warmed my belly

Slurping down wonton soup





No comments:

Post a Comment