Monday, September 02, 2013

POEM - The Bread Drawer

She told me I buy things
That are very different
From when she is all alone
Walking the rows of the Wal-Mart
Intent on covering the basics

My purchases are frivolous
Often sweet and fluffy
And frequently cream filled
There are also a lot more marshmallows
Whenever you come along
I don't buy marshmallows
She tells me in that tone
The one that suggests sternly
I should know why already
They remind me of your mother
And I'm sure she will know
Somehow. Subconsciously.
That we have those things  
And show up at our door
And I just can't handle her right now

As I hear this my mind wanders
And I remember a story
One I feel I must tell right away
Something to change the mood

I first thrust my nose against the bag
And sniff deeply of the comforting scent
It carries me back to my youth
And visiting grandma in California
Her house was always wonderful
The perfect grandma’s house
Toys and games in almost every closet
A playhouse in the backyard
The cool basement under the washroom
And grandpa’s office up front
Full of typewriters and National Geographics

This specific memory relates to the kitchen
And a wonderful drawer under the toaster
It was known as the bread drawer
But it was so much more
That drawer had bread it is true
But it usually also held marshmallows
And the aroma of bread and sweet
Entered the olfactory like an old friend
Sat down and settled in
Wafting along on a delightful visit
That you hoped would never end

And that is why the marshmallows come along
I sniff the bag once again
Wallow in the memory a moment more

As a blissful look settles on my face





No comments:

Post a Comment