Thursday, September 12, 2013

POEM - Waiting to See

Today she was tired
A little less energetic
As we sat in the waiting room
A heavy question in the air
She stared for a long time
Into the fish tank
Bubbling away in the corner
As I filled out the usual forms
Told the same story
Same as a hundred times before
As the bubbles kept rising uninterrupted
She didn’t even have the energy to care
That the tank was a ruse
An vessel empty of life
All systems doing their work
With nary a fish
To give a purpose
To the machinations each was employed in

When I finished the paperwork
We sat together
In a time apart
Not willing to mention anything
That might be seen as important
Tom and Jerry were on the TV
Acting out the Wizard of Oz
As if they played some part
Helped Dorothy win through
Showed them actually filling the bucket
That killed the Wicked Witch
And I remembered why I hated Tom and Jerry

But she didn’t watch
Resting on my shoulders
Her head settling deep into my arm
Minutes from a nervous sleep
Because it’s a way for a kid to deal
When they are eleven
And afraid they might be minutes away
From some strange person
Sticking a large needle in them
Just for the fun of it
She yawned
Asked for food
Stared at the invisible fish
And then puts on that look she has
That lets you know she’s thinking hard

You know my friend?
She hates the term “surgically removed”
She thinks it’s icky
            I think I will say it all day tomorrow
That’s what I was waiting for
Even in the face of uncertainty
She still sees the weird

In all the possibilities ahead of her



No comments:

Post a Comment