Thursday, September 19, 2013

POEM - Working the Room

The charts fluctuate
A prophetic reflection
Of my future feelings

And I think I am writing
For the sake of the art
To express something
A deep and yearning thought
But I am writing for the line
Trying to make it move
Take the upward climb

This is what happens
When a writer works
With spreadsheets and numbers
I have gotten familiar
With the data dump
The intricate influences
A nudge in one area
Sends a ripple into the mix
And I am transfixed

Pouring over the numbers
I see a trend
Then toy with the theory
If I include this name
Place the action in this city
Allude to a certain event
Will the readers come
To the landscape I have built?

Then I write the perfect poem
The one that follows the formula
Mentions the right names
Set against the correct event
With equal parts nostalgia
And genealogical cool

The next day I check the numbers
And it flops
Flat on its face
Like a hippo with hummingbird wings
Tossed off the north rim
Of the Grand Canyon
As the harvest moon rises slowly
To follow its slow sultry arc

Lazily crossing down a deepening night sky


No comments:

Post a Comment