Tuesday, June 11, 2013

POEM - Havasupai

I.
The morning came early
On the road out of Phoenix
Heading north in groggy darkness
Crammed to full in a 12 passenger van
That was not made for comfort

I had talked Keith and Dave into coming
Though they didn’t need much
We only pulled a spot every few years
Heading down into the canyon
Was an opportunity you took
Whenever you had the chance

As lonely as I-17 was pre-dawn
Interstate 40 was a ghost road
Built on the rubble of Route 66
The old road still popped up
As we turned off  I-40 in Seligman

The sun was still young
When we made the parking lot
Stood on the edge of the canyon
Looked down at the switchbacks
Felt the breeze rush out of the canyon

An easy path down to the floor
That would be the final torture
When we dragged ourselves out
Three days and many memories later

II.
Dad invited me to join the hike
It had been a year since his surgery
He was doing well and felt good
This was his return to real hiking
His last big effort was Picacho Peak
Just a week before he got detained
Stuck in the hospital for a bypass

I took my pack over the night before
I had packed very light
My recent hikes had been educational
I’d taken useless items
            And paid the price each time
I wanted to enjoy this hike

What I paid the price for this time
Was a failure to communicate
Not on my part, but with my father
He was still not 100%
Thought it might be taxing on him
To carry a full pack the whole way
So I carried his excess burdens
Which I discovered at the bottom
After ten miles and two blisters
The size of half-dollars
Chunked out of both heels

III.
The canyon was beyond gorgeous
My busted up feet and weary back
Disappeared in the clear turquoise waters
The peace of languishing in nature
For two full days of exploring

By the night of the 2nd day
Some of the kids were done
They wanted to hike out at night
Sleep in the car instead of on dirt
Keith and I went along
Volunteered to prevent a tragedy
Ended up only getting lost once

Made it nearly all the way out
Before the night and exhaustion won
Gave up and slept on a huge flat rock
Six body bags in a row
Zipped up over our heads
To thwart the incessant mosquitos
That whispered discouragement

In ceaseless mocking buzzes



No comments:

Post a Comment