Tuesday, June 25, 2013

POEM - SK8 Jerk

This story has been bugging me
Skating through my mind
A story about farm Grandma and Grandpa
The ones from St. George
I gave them that name
Their place seemed like a farm
It was really just a big garden
But they had fat, dark purple concord grapes
That grew on the back fence
And trees with fruit on them
A pantry or two full of canned foods
Amidst red dirt hills
Covered in scraggly blond grass
With the smell of burning hay
Permanently present in the air

On this visit I was a skater kid
I wanted to be the BMX kid
They had a dirt course up the hill
It would have gotten me out of the house
But I had my old skateboard
Riding on the rough asphalt
Not a curb or drainage ditch in sight
And it wasn’t fun anymore
I was a teenager
Perfecting the art of boredom
Then I broke my board
Pulling a massive 360 Boneless one
Snapped the thing right in half

I went to complain to my parents
Grandpa saw it and got all helpful
I hadn’t spent a lot of time with him
He didn’t talk much
More mumbled and yelled
He said he could make a skateboard
I immediately said it was not necessary
But he insisted
Maybe he was bored too
Maybe he was trying to get to know me
Either way I was dubious of the outcome
I was pretty sure his wood pile
Was not going to have 9 ply epoxy laminated maple
With two fiberglass infused cores

I was right, and I felt bad
He was so determined to help
What he had was plywood
So we cut out a shape
Drilled holes to mount the trucks
Painted it white
Let it dry as long as I could

With dread I tightened down the wheels
To the still tacky board
With an eagerly watching audience
I set off and felt the ridiculous flex
The imprecise alignment
The complete lack of concave
And the absence of grip tape

Then I waited for everyone to leave
Road out across the street
Did another boneless one
Made sure I landed in the middle of the board
And bifurcated the sad excuse

I showed my dad with a knowing look
He wasn’t as supportive as I’d hoped
So I hid the wreckage in the car
In the process crowning my progression
From nice little kid
To jerk face teenager




No comments:

Post a Comment