Wednesday, October 16, 2013

POEM - Lights in the Graveyard

This twisting road
Disappearing into twilight
Falls away around the corner
Swallowed up in trees
Spindly tall foliage
Hiding secrets and mysteries
Like the surprise that meets me
As I round the corner
The yellow diamond sign
Tells me a church is near by
But the warning is incomplete
It should have an asterisks
Followed by a lengthy addendum
Something pithy and explanatory

            *The glowing lights you will see
            Scattered through the graveyard
            Approaching on your left
            Are not ghost or fairies
            Goblins nor swamp gas:
            Please do not be alarmed

There is no such warning
I am caught off guard
Luckily the country road is deserted
As I serve slightly in reaction
Distracted by the glowing accents
Gracing intermittent gravestones
With a tranquil, restful glow

I’m not sure
As I look at this odd sight
If I really get it
As I observe crosses and angels
Shinning their solar powered radiance

They are like little lanterns
Held aloft by the dreary ferryman
As he drudgingly navigates
The blackened murky waters
Of the dead river Styx

Are the souls in this cemetery
In need of a little more
An extra guiding light
Left out of charity
To encourage a certain path

I don’t think they appreciate it
In fact
It could be considered rude
Making blatant use of a sun
They no longer have need of
And provide a whimsical light
That mocks the blindness of their death
Decorate their headstone
And then leave a prohibitive barrier
A full six feet of soil
To block all aesthetic benefit
Which surely would enrich
The infinite boredom

As they decompose below


No comments:

Post a Comment