Sunday, October 13, 2013

POEM - Cookies are Good, Music is Better

The back seat of the Pinto
Held me and my sister
Awash in the rare morning sun
Shining down on a stunning Oregon landscape
Well, not exactly stunning
As this particular bridge
Skirting the Columbia River
Showing more of industrial development
Than natural preservation
As the long flowing arc of the freeway
Gave us a spotlighted view
Of several warehouse districts

We made our way to the Oroweat store
To get second hand bread
And,
      fingers crossed,
peanut butter cookies
My favorite with the little divot in the middle

Still hanging on to the last wisps
Of that wonderful bread store smell
With the desired cookie in hand
The sky still showing signs of staying sunny
We were all in a good mood
Heading back across the industrial bridge
Mom flipped on the AM radio
Pushed in the long black selector rod
The dial jumped to the music station
Wonderful 70’s pop flowed from the speaker

I remember that moment
It was when I woke up to music
It started to mean something important
As The Wings sang about silly love songs
I understood that this song was special
That I need to hear more
That cookies may be wonderful
But this song was better
I can’t remember if I finished eating
But I remember the song
And how the sun looked different
As it shone on the new road ahead
Lighting the path to a journey of sound
Opened my ears

And tuned my senses



No comments:

Post a Comment