Saturday, October 19, 2013

POEM - The Game is called P-I-G

The kids run around the court
Getting sweaty
Sliding along the polished wood floor
Playing a variety of games
All simultaneously
Something that is sometimes soccer
Sometimes dodge ball
And more often keep away

I shoot a few baskets
Make them pretty easy
So I think it is finally time
I’m going to challenge you
My nemesis of the court
The queen of basketball
I am so on today!
Up for a quick game of PIG?
            Sure
            If it will get us out of here
I’ll start

So she starts
Does the shots she likes
Up close
Almost under the net
But I have her number on this
I’ve learned how to make these
Consistently
After something like 25 years
And her technique gains no purchase

Next she tries from about three-quarters of a free throw
It clangs the rim
Bounces off
I gain the advantage
And I capitalize
Far right of the free throw line
Sweet shot
Mostly net
She shoots for a try and a miss

“P!”

Next a free throw

“I!”

But I get cocky
Try a backwards free throw
A baseline jumper
A big hook shoot
All of them miss
And she takes advantage
Subtly and skillfully

In short order I get P-I-G
And I lose again
For the few hundredth time
I think she cheated
Her cuteness distracts me
My killer instinct dissipates
But really
The honest truth
She can shoot
Has discipline and skills
A kind heart
            And a killer game
That she reigns down

            On this porcine challenger



No comments:

Post a Comment