Sunday, December 15, 2013

POEM - The Train Cake of 1974

I know
If I try to think rationally
That she had little choice
Didn’t pick the design
Or request the theme
But I was already on edge
Feeling a little unstable
When the party came up

I really wasn’t in the best frame of mind
It had been a rough year
What with the downsizing
Of my personal space
     My parental attention
            My toy storage
I was frazzled

I’d been invited
      As an after thought
A plus two really
But I thought everyone was cool
So it was a little awkward
When the cake came out

I tried to play it smooth
      But the tension was palpable
Why would she get a train cake?
She doesn’t even like trains
         I was the one that liked trains
I was the one
       Who asked for the conductor overalls
                And the engineer cap
I was the one who made “Choo-choo” sounds
Whenever I took a stroll around the house
               Me!
                           Not her . . . 

So it ended
In the cliché way
Me sulking in the corner
A hint of blue around the lips
Depressed by how good the cake was
Powerless to stop
The perpetual locomotive
              Of birthday fun



No comments:

Post a Comment