Tuesday, December 17, 2013

POEM - Old School Academics: 1976

I had already learned to read
One Fish, Two Fish,
Red Fish, Blue Fish
Without hardly a stumble
And to tie my shoes
Without hardly looking
I could ride my bike
A streaking silver number
Dubbed "Springing Arrow"
With its sleek black banana seat
Fast and steady
And even with no hands

After all that I thought I was good
Didn't need much more
But then school came along
And it was all built up to be a big deal
But I couldn't see the point
I had the three "r's" covered
Reading, riding and running

I bade farewell
To the crab apple trees
And acquiesced to go
I found many positives
Once I gave it a chance
They offered a casual schedule
Half day of work for full credit
Nap-time adamantly enforced
Company provided snacks
Frequent breaks
Outdoor play time
Pretty sweet deal




No comments:

Post a Comment