Thursday, December 12, 2013

POEM - Jim and I, 1971

Jim and I
Only shared the earth
For half a year
Before he disappeared
Lost in Paris

I was pretty unaware in those days
People tell me I was born
I behaved
Ate well
Slept better
Had a good disposition
Made my parents think
They were pretty good
At this parenting thing

But I have
Since I was aware
Felt born at the wrong time
A decade or two late
At times
A century or two
At others

Not that modern times are so tough
I just like the look of things then
Mid-century thin, clean lines
A shunning of the Victorian
Suit and tie and shined shoes
Sitting at the typewriter
Listening to phonographs
And a nice family dinner
At the table
Every night

And then there’s Jim
I wanted to know all that other stuff
So I could rebel against it
Be one of the first
See Morrison in person
Be at the Whiskey-a-Go-Go
Stop wearing the suit
Grow my hair
From everywhere

But I was born at the end
And Jim left before we met
And I haven’t been to Paris

And I miss the Lizard King




No comments:

Post a Comment