Friday, December 20, 2013

POEM - First Grade Frenzy of 1977-78

It was a beautiful summer day
In sunny Southern California
Only tainted by one small thing
I was in year round school
At the grade school
My mother had gone to

We’d just arrived from Oregon
Hanging out until my dad got a permanent job
Working at the docks in LA
For his parent’s trucking company

The best mornings were fog mornings
So thick we played hide and seek
Right on the open field

Excuse me, I must correct that
I went to first grade in Corvallis
Bundled up in coat and goulashes
Shoving my gear into the coat room
With all the other gear
Then dressing again
For the walk home

Wait, I mean I lived in Philomath
And I was bussed to school
To be bussed to another school

Now just a second
I was in Philomath
But I stopped being double bussed
And made it a few months
But Philomath was a temporary deal

OK, Gresham, yes this is it
And I am getting bussed
Out to the brand new school
With the nice new classrooms
Past the school in my neighborhood

Then one day we heard  on the news
A girl had been kidnapped
That lived in our area
The next day the closer school called
They had an opening
At my sixth and final

First grade school   



No comments:

Post a Comment