Saturday, December 28, 2013

POEM - I Soar, Distracted, and then Descend: 1985

I.
I was on top
Skating through school
From the computer lab
To the Journalism class
Doing very little
Getting credit for much more
Being courted by the best schools
That the Tucson valley had to offer
I chose the easy way
Because I really couldn’t see
That I would ever do homework
I hadn’t so far
I didn’t see the trend ending
If I could help it

II.
Summer had more to offer
Including a delay
In the onset of reality
As I jetted to Cali with Burg
Living the beach life in SoCal
Then off to camp to run wild
Interrupted gladly by fireworks
This year featuring the incineration
Of ‘A’ Mountain for a finale
Then off to Flaming Gorge
With Uncle Kim in Peugeot
To run wild and free again
Through the outdoor wonderland
Surrounding my grandparent’s cabin
Never a thought spared
For the trials around the corner

III.
Ah, this is high school
Was not ready for this
At all and in no way
Whatsoever
I think these teachers
Might not succumb to my charm
And might make me do actual work
Don’t they know who I am?
I’m the one the teachers like
That gets to roam free
Flash a smile
And get away with doing almost nothing
By the way
It also doesn’t help
That my desk mate in Earth Science
Is smoking pot
Right in the middle of class
And blowing it out a window
Like it is no big deal
And the teacher never notices
And I am awkward and distracted
And I’m not quite sure
How I’m going to explain
That there are 2 A’s and 4 D’s
On my first report card
Let’s look at the positive

Man! I wasn’t ready for this



No comments:

Post a Comment