Friday, August 02, 2013

POEM - See? I Did Graduate! I Have Photographic Proof!

What wasn’t apparent
From the photograph of me
In my fine polyester blue robes
And fancy square blue hat
With the “89” tassel hanging down
Is what it took to get to that point

I’m not talking school work
Of course that happened
I’m talking the shopping trip
To get my perfect outfit
One obnoxious enough
That I would enjoy wearing it

We started at Miller’s Outpost
Where all the cool kids used to shop
I found some cool tan pants
And a funky patterned shirt
White with muted orange rows of design

I had decided to go with orange accents
To match my cool shoes
That I had picked up at Ross
They were sort of tribal slip-ons
With clear plastic soles

After that things were pretty complete
Though I did get a new Batman keychain
So my keys would feel fancy too

The morning of graduation I was up at 6
We were getting ready to move
So I had a couple things to do
To help get my stuff cleaned up

Sometime late afternoon I got dressed
Got my picture taken
Drove up to the school
And sat through an enjoyably short ceremony
I had to laugh when they called out Mark’s name
As the announcer accented “Barz” in quotations
He’d gotten them to print it and everything
I’d never wanted a nickname so bad

After that I chatted with my parents
Only for a moment or two
Before I ran off into the night
Headed for celebrations at the bowling alley
Some all-night gathering

After I’d had enough I left
Barz dropped me off at home
I jumped into my car
Drove around a little more
Enjoying the end of it all
Picked up breakfast stuff for the family
Pushed it until I’d made it a whole 24 hours awake
Fell asleep between forking a sausage link

And getting it to my mouth




No comments:

Post a Comment