Saturday, August 03, 2013

POEM - The Hellion, the Print Shop and Me

I learned a lot from the Hellion
Sitting down there in the basement
Below the schmaltzy art gallery
In the heart of the Old Town
Working hard at looking like I was working
For the Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce

The Hellion was named Joe
And he ran the print shop
Joe looked like a Tom Selleck impersonator
With his 70’s black mustache
And the way he carried himself

He was the king of the barter
During my down times we’d talk
I’d do some layout for a business card
Or set type for some stationary
Or listen to him rant on and on
About being a self-made man 
Preaching work and practical knowledge
To a stream of guys heading for college
Always telling us a degree wasn’t a solution
All of us never dissuaded in the least
From wanting to go to school
And not be working in the warehouse
When we were as old as the Hellion

Still he did have a Harley
And he’d take me out to lunch
Whenever I did a job
Or just because he had a hankering
To head out and hit Phil’s
For the best cheesesteaks around

It was fun watching the print machine
With its thousands of gears
Cranking out the copies
At lightning speed
I learned how air was the lubricant for paper
How the ink was hydrophobic
Learned how the print plates are made
And of course the proper way to stack paper

The shop was full of fun machines
They would collate whole booklets
Fold flyers 15 different ways
Staple way deep in the fold two at a time
Chop a straight line in a big stack of paper
Or lick a thousand envelopes in nothing flat

For the kid who only liked Mr. Rogers
When he would show a film about doing stuff
This was the best parts all day long
Eventual Joe even taught me book layout
Helped me print a collection of my poems
Did it right there in the shop
From left over paper he had
Got to use all the machines
Turned out pretty good
Still have most of them

If you want a copy just ask



No comments:

Post a Comment