Sunday, August 18, 2013

POEM - Free Isn’t Always a Deal

Just because it is given away
Doesn’t mean you have to take it
Or that it is a good bargain

The dog that was left at our front door
Is not worth the price we paid
With an array of barks
That penetrate to the core of my brain
With yippy deadly precision
Are only surpassed in awfulness
By the fact it is riddled with worms
I’m thinking it needs to go for a ride
Deeper into the country
To play with its cousins
The newly prolific coyotes

Or what about the free records
The ones set outside in the bins
At the new 2nd hand book store
I picked up a stack
Including one by the BeeGees
You know, as a goof
Right now I am listening
Wondering how this phenomenon kept going
After their first “hit” played
I had to stop and wipe the blood from my ears
I’m actually having a hard time typing
As the intellect drains minute by minute
Really not worth it
I think
Or maybe I love the BeeGees
Or maybe I  . . . uhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

(And just in time
The needle skips
Off the album)

Now back to my list
Did I mention every illness
And every disease
Most given completely free
Only to tax and torment you
Empty your pocket book
And confine you to bed

No thank you
I will pay for my pleasures
If only I can choose for myself
It is a small price to pay

To avoid the burden of free


No comments:

Post a Comment