Wednesday, January 08, 2014

POEM - Ugliest Sweater of All

The euphoria of winning
Can fade and wane
When it is a month later
And you have been forgotten
The Grand Prize
Nowhere to be seen
And you get to be put
In the awkward position
Of reminding the Marketing Department
That something fabulous was promised
            Last year it was fifty bucks!
            I think to myself
In excited anticipation
            Already planning out
            What fun I might have
            Counting the minutes until 5

But the prize that was being brought over
Right away . . .
With apologies . . .
Still didn’t arrive
Until midway through the following day
I guess it took that long
To dig through the promotional stuff
And piece together left-overs
That looked like some actual thought
Had been ever put towards it
I mean a can koozie, lanyard and leather folder
Are the supreme pinnacle
Of almost (but not quite) useful
But
            Well
                        See
                                    It’s like this . . .
I’ve never made out with my sister
But I imagine that this feeling I have
And the bad taste in my mouth
Are representative of the experience

So I sit here and fume
And put on my bitterness
Thick, warm and heavy
Like a sweater

The ugliest sweater of all




No comments:

Post a Comment