Thursday, January 02, 2014

POEM - Summer of ‘88

You used to let me drive us to work
In the Pinto. All the way into Phoenix
Back when Mill Avenue still
Went down into the dry Salt River
Unless it rained. Then they’d set up
Four lanes on the old bridge. Narrow
Lanes. The trucks made me nervous.
Probably was worse for you. Up Mill
Then it would turn into Washington
Or Jefferson or Van Buren
Some dead president. West bound
We would listen to House of the Holy
On the tape deck. Talking over music
That we liked and why and that time
You went and saw Blood, Sweat and
Tears at the Marriott Center. Had to move
Half-way through. It was too loud.
Hey Dad, stay right there sitting
In those tan plastic seats. Not quite
Relaxed because I wasn’t completely
Getting the hang of commuting. Other
Cars on the road. Some near side swipes
Probably added some gray hairs. Patient
As you could be you never yelled, but
You watched that side view mirror
Like it was the most interesting thing
That had ever been created. I noticed
And took to watching it a little closer.
I’m nervous these days. Watching
That mirror in the same way. My children
Are trying to give me a coronary
Or two. What is better is we listen
To the same music. Like you and I
Did. It made the difference to not
Be shut down and shut out without
An opinion on what we did. The most
Cooperative carpool. Father and son
Driving to the daily grind. There was
No work during the travel. Somehow

A lot of things got built just the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment