Tuesday, January 07, 2014

POEM - And the Beat Goes On: 1991

Spent that year
Knocking on doors
Handing out books
Meeting new people
Then moving
From the city
To the high desert
To a different high desert
Then back down to the city
Where it all started
With a roller-coaster
Of emotions and experiences
Happy for the bright times
Like dinner with the Glen(Glynn)s
As I the upstart
Battled Sgt. Slaughter
On the Scrabble field
After perfectly, cooked meat eats
Then later that year
I paused in the arid winds
Looked skyward over Palmdale
As the Stealth Bomber flew
Overhead going through its maneuvers
Would I find peace later
In the deceptively named
Town of Apple Valley
Near the man who kept Siberian Tigers
And walked them through the desert
Or would it be back on the mean streets
Back to San Bernardino
To familiar places I know
But people who had changed entirely
Situations I thought permanent
Had fizzled and frayed
Lost focus and rearranged
From where I had left them
Just a year and a half before
And I learned that lesson
The one where I couldn’t control
What was going to happen
And I was only a visitor
On temporary loan
Meant to say some words
Bring some joy
Then evaporate from the story line
To let those that remain
Find the strength

To stand up on their own



No comments:

Post a Comment