Saturday, February 25, 2017

POEM - That Which You Persist in Doing

The lady who is traveling
To the subcontinent
For the first time
Is tired
Always

I remember being there
The oppressing passage of minutes
Somehow flying against the clock
Garners the revenge of father time
At least the first time
Just a little gift
The old man making a point
Making sure you know
He isn't having it

But it gets easier
If you persist
And try again
A truce is available
The old timekeeper won't make it easy
But if you force his hand
He'll sign off on you
A secondary passport
The one that lets you get on local time
Almost immediately

So I keep doing it
And I don't look like death
Is sitting next to me
Not any more than I usually do
And I am allowed to get up
Function reasonably well
And I feel bad for the new ones
I still remember that feeling
And I counted those minutes
Tediously
But persist
And you count hours
Then days
Then weeks fly by
Like a jet plane
Carrying me home

No comments:

Post a Comment