Tuesday, February 07, 2017

POEM - Breakfast in the DF

The plaza called to me
Ready to abandon my flight
And stay a day or two more
I had found
In the vastness
Of Mexico City
Too much to leave behind
Without more moments collected

We had left late
From the hills of Toluca
And traffic in the DF
It is always there
But we had to eat
And Jose knew the place
The very best place
Believe me
And I did

There were errors in navigation
And I'm sure I didn't help
Felipe was trying
Jose was patiently insisting
He had been there
Really did know where we were
But a car full of guys
Is a car full of guys
And everyone has an opinion

We found a parking garage
Dropped a few extra pesos
To get a good spot
And walked out into the bustle
The air alive with mid morning activity
A block away found us
Inside the embrace
Of El Cardenal
And a few moments more
We were seated
Three floors up
In the ancient building
That sloped to the back
As if it was relaxing
For brunch as well

And then without asking
A server appeared
Lifted my cup
And filled it with the syrup of bliss
Hot cocoa
The Mexican way
The right way
Thick as melted butter
Bittersweet and spicy
With a taste of eons
Calling across jungles and mountains

I don't know how long I sat there
Eyes closed
Listening to the faint rustle
Of feathered headdress
Ruffled by ancient winds
But Jose called me to
"Good, eh?"
"Si! 
Es muy bueno, amigo!
Gracias! 
Gracias forever!"

It was so good
I nearly missed my plane
Again navigation errors
Again a car full of guys
Again I didn't really want to leave
One more abrazo for Jose
And a mad dash to the gate
Via con dios, DF
Mi corazon se quedo


!







No comments:

Post a Comment