Sunday, February 19, 2017

POEM - Sunspot Sunrise

All I came to do was workout
Made a promise to myself
I would actually use the gym
While sacking out at the hotel

Found some good music
Tried out the various torture machines
Fascinated by the mechanics
Ingeniously arranged
In order to work a stunning variety
Of nicely diagrammed muscle groups
I tried to follow instructions
While not looking like a fool
Luckily it was mostly empty
And my ineptitude went un-mocked

After dismounting awkwardly
One of the goofier contraptions
The sunrise caught my eye
I've seen sunrises before
I know a good one when I see it
For this one in particular
The sun decided to creep slowly
Over the neighboring apartment tower
Doing the slow burn
A rusty orange sphere
Easily observed
Thanks to increased humidity
That morning residual fog
That makes things look like a 70s movie
Shot somewhere in the California desert
With slow melancholic music
Serenading the incremental rise

I decide to memorialize the scene
Went up to the window
Happily abandoning my workout
And the camera captured more
Got the sun and three reflections
Making the whole 70s movie thing
All the more complete
Just seeing it made me feel desperate
Like it was that scene in the film
After a hard night
When what has to be done becomes clear
And the protagonist awakes
Slightly hung over or just punch drunk
Pulls open the blinds
On the cheap hotel
And the slow rising sun
Reflects his hesitation
To start this particular day
And with a forward dropping of the head
A slumping of the shoulders
For just a moment
He then shakes off the past
Steels his nerves
And faces the sunspots
Grateful he knows what to do
Even if it is only for today





No comments:

Post a Comment