Wednesday, February 08, 2017

POEM - The Better Cook

My wife is the better cook
This is based on the overall scorecard
The competition plays out like this
I arrive
All flash and panache
With vague imagery
Of sensational dishes
Bouncing around my spastic brain

Linda arrives
Focused and informed
Has done her research
Made a list
Has a sensible restraint
And a complex palette

Mine is complex as well
In the way the band Yes is
All my ideas
All my flavors
All play lead
You will be overwhelmed
By the time I am done
And leave me in awe
You may also
Never come back

But she, the consummate master
Makes it right
Never thinking she will
Tempers her response
Peppers her influence gently
Like a lovely symphony
Each taste in harmony
Taking a turn
Playing their part
Bravo!

I eventually get it right
Sometimes even make a favorite
But rarely on the first attempt
I am the perpetual winner
Of the most improved ribbon
The accidental chef
For our residents
With more canine tastes
The wannabe
Living in the shadow
Of the humble master







No comments:

Post a Comment