Saturday, February 11, 2017

POEM - The Hiker Departs and Then Returns

Gratefully I did not die
Even perchance found
That it was a good experience
Though how could it not
You send a poet for a walk
In the horry wood
Beside a Walden-esque pond
And he will wax philosophical

The first five miles were fun
The second five
Only a bit uncomfortable
And just at the end
But those last two miles
Were worth the pain
As my youngest son and I
Went on ahead
And he talked
Almost ceaseless
About the interests
And thoughts
And experiences
Of his full eleven years

It was less inane
Than I thought it might be
As he expressed
His deep thoughts
Or ponderous ruminations
Freely

And today
For the rest of the day
I have his devotion
Professions of love
And a desire to stick around
Be close
And continue the conversation
And the hike wasn't too bad
Not too bad at all
As the ducks came in to land
Disturbing the glassy surface
Interupting our hiking talks


No comments:

Post a Comment