Tuesday, February 21, 2017

POEM - The Jungle Explodes

It never matters why
The celebration got started
I want to be there
If fireworks are involved

Maybe that is all it would take
To settle everyone's nerves
All the wars and fighting
Are just because there aren't enough days
That end with a fireworks show

I am finding out it is universal
The Chinese and Italians
Claim a birthright for the sport
But the glittering exploding lights
Are the adopted children of the entire world

Tonight I was distracted
By a steady thrumming report
A hollow pop again and again
Until I rolled over to the window
And sat for a moment
Looking over Kochi city at night
Waiting for revelation

Then it happened
Joyous fiery sprays
Of silver, blue, and gold
Making me glad I looked
Making light of noise and violence
Taming explosions of gunpowder
For frivolous merriment
Until with a rocketing comet
Shooting thrice higher than all the others
The sky exploded in sparks of green
Like the canopy of the jungle
Both dangerous and protective
Quickly dissipating
Just as the sonic boom
Crashed satisfyingly
Against my hotel window





No comments:

Post a Comment