Monday, February 27, 2017

POEM - Calder Abroad

The Bohemian couple
Sitting across from me
Waiting for the same red eye flight
Were having pleasant discussions
I noticed her shirt
Decorated by my favorite artist
During a lull I interupted
"So you like Calder?"
She said yes
Really more he did
He had been to the retrospective
It was in San Francisco last year
Had gotten her the shirt

I said that I had been to Chicago
And spent time with his stabile
I shared my photo
Then they discussed the Picasso
Also in Chicago
That was much maligned initially
But now a cherished treasure

They were returning
From time spent with friends
Out in the mountains
They spoke of easy days
An unhurried lifestyle
And the difficulty
Of adjusting back into
A set schedule again

I explained I was here for work
Which seemed a subject
They weren't ready to think about
So I shifted to sightseeing
And that earned a little more time
Until we drifted back
To the easy silence of strangers
Momentarily engaged
Then the moment passed
Into the humid jungle air
Like planes passing in the night

No comments:

Post a Comment