Saturday, March 09, 2013

POEM - What you Shouldn’t See in the Store


The lovely green container caught my eye
Sitting there next to the sausage patties
And the odd frozen breakfast foods

Like the breakfast corn dog
Only the dog is a sausage
And the corn is a blueberry pancake
And I’ve now forgotten what caught my eye
Because none of this makes sense

And then I get close enough
To read the label
Red block letters spelling out inconceivable words:
SELECTED PORK BRAINS

I had thought it was guacamole
From that distance, and using logical reasoning
Boy, was I wrong, so very wrong
I should have guessed a ruse
Since guacamole belongs with Mexican food
And this container belongs in a landfill

Then I think of the joke
“This gives a whole new meaning to brain food!”
But really, who eats this stuff
Especially for breakfast

No comments:

Post a Comment