Thursday, March 21, 2013

POEM - C’est L'amour, Xochiquetzal


Day after the Dead play Compton Terrace
Jim Sr. grins, takes two Valium, and disappears

Jim’s dad sold straight pot
No oregano and cheap to friends
A homegrown severance pay
The former cop gets no hassles
Grows it right out on the back porch.

I joined the story earlier that morning
I found four legs hangin’ out
From a ’51 Chevy named Xochiquetzal
The gods of love were sleeping inside.

Last night Fletch and Jim parked and crashed.
Even my idols have to get their rest
I had hope in bestowal of virility
As I hopped in the back seat
Of the ancient love machine

Windblown to Tucson fueled on Waffle House
And the energy of half stoned Heads in the parking lot
Begging a buck, bumming a ride, chasing the next show
All too high to understand we weren't going their way.

I never touched any of that stuff
Jim didn't either, but he sucked ink like water
Every pore connecting the dots
Of a massive paint-by-numbers
At 17 already the canvas a third filled.

I had religion and at two-thirds converted
There was still enough room left
For a truck shaped Aztec love god
To throw some blessings my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment