Tuesday, March 05, 2013

POEM - Gnat-urally


How silly the vanity of a gnat
Returns again and again
To whisper sweet nothings
Obsessed as they are
With their own buzzing rhetoric

I watch from across a busy room
Pondering at the swarming cloud
Stroking their collective egos
Self-absorbed, they flock to lights and mirrors
Certain these glorious beacons exist
Only to serve their endless beauty

Adore yourselves a little longer
My foolish preening fairies
Spout your buzzing prattle
For just a few moments more
Yes, the mirror does you justice,
And don't you look lovely my dears

Their hubris is their downfall
The hand of death stands ready
I pose one last question as I strike
"What's the last thing
that will go through your mind
when I smash you
on to the mirror?"

I know you’d laugh
If only you could
If you weren't dead
I'll tell you anyway . . . Your butt!

I notice a few of the corpses twitch a little
As I deliver the punch line
Maybe I've been too harsh
They really aren’t that bad
After all, the value of a sense of humor
Should never be underestimated

No comments:

Post a Comment