Sunday, March 24, 2013

POEM - The Lightning Room


Remember that time I went back
Took Barz to visit my old haunts
Trying to marry my two lives
Ended up at the house of strange girl
That Barz had meet tubing on the Salt
He got sick and crashed there
Sent me off to have fun

I found Fletch again
Like I always try to do
Ended up in strangeness as well
Picked up that redhead kid
The one who smoked to much
And was too proud of his light fingers

I had my grandpa’s truck that we inherited
When he had passed away a few months back
And a desire to live my old life
Tempe was a safe world
Compared to the wilds of Tucson

We did it up right
Hit all the old haunts
Grandma Tony’s hadn’t changed yet
Played the pin ball for a few rounds
Downed a slice and a cola
Headed to the mall

Other things had changed though
No one was friends anymore
That redhead kid shoplifted too much
I was distracted by the distance of time
Hoping I’d remember where I left Barz

I dumped my playmates downtown
Bid farewell and said goodbye
To old friends and everything else

Found my way into the foothills
Enjoyed the evening in a stranger’s house
Reclined in the lightning room upstairs
My new friend beside me
Watching the evening Tucson sky light up

No comments:

Post a Comment