Saturday, March 23, 2013

POEM - Stake Dance Saturday Night


Three Saturday nights each month
I had everything to look forward to
That’s when it was time to dance

It still means everything to me
Over quarter of a century later
The hours spent embraced by music
Twirling and gyrating
Sometimes with someone
Sometimes not so much
It was the feeling of the sound
Waves of energy
Pulsing through my chest
That’s what I looked forward to

Sure it was nice to have a partner
Someone to dance slow with
Someone to feed the energy
Take the craziness to new levels

This was the 80s
Punk had begotten New Wave
Which had birthed Synth-pop
All of them selfish for attention
Trying to be louder or faster
Jumpy, bouncy, energetic, more
More than what came before

I ate lived breathed drank it
It moved me
Spastically

Spent each week wondering
If I’d have the nerve
To do the worm
For the whole second verse
Of “Rock Lobster”

Wondering now if I’ve lost the groove
Could I last through even a few seconds of the worm?
Would I be able to get back up if I tried?
Will skanking to my 2Tone CD
Instigate a cardiac episode?

No comments:

Post a Comment