Sunday, March 17, 2013

POEM - Crazy Fire


It’s a long Sunday of church and baking
One of those days that tests you
Especially if you have young kids

So, in the interest of sanity
Ezra is sitting with me
While dinner is being made
Partially for Linda’s piece of mind
Mostly so he won’t end up on the menu
Ezra is a thinker

I ask Ezra to help me write a poem
He starts off with an  amazing title
The first stanza then practically writes itself

Although there may be 5000 dogs around
We can still build the fire
The crazy fire

I can tell we are headed for greatness
I just think there needs to be a little more
So in emulation of a poetry Mad Lib
I ask what happens next
The next lines are epic defined

There are leprechauns jumping out
To grab my chest of gold
The dreaded fire leprechauns
With flames shooting from their beards

Yes! Yes! Now we are getting somewhere
What happens next? I can barely contain myself

Our only hope is to build the fire, the crazy fire
We fight through the canine hordes
Across the plains of fiery leprechauns

I’m proud of the budding poet
I think he has done well
I can tell there is more in him
The last lines roll off his tongue, unstoppable

It takes about 1000 pieces of cardboard
Which took forever to get
Eventually we won the war
Against those fiery leprechauns
And the war of the canine attack

Hmm . . .a thousand pieces of cardboard
At least we won the war
Thanks for helping me Ezra
Hope that crazy fire never burns out

No comments:

Post a Comment