Monday, March 18, 2013

POEM - Old Pueblo Days, Tucson Nights


A large part of what I am
Foul or fair
Finds its birth in Tucson
In the veins of the Old Pueblo
Founded in secret passages
Nearly abandoned buildings
On the wheels of a skateboard
In the dirt of the Sonoran desert
 
One of the last strongholds of Weird
A proud land of kooks and loonies
A strange mix of humanity
Equal parts gangster and hippie
Scientist and Latino existing as one
Mixing and evolving into new creatures

My favorite part was that I was young
School ended at 3:30
My dad left work downtown at 5
I had 90 minutes to explore any day I wanted
Longer if I rode home with the Chmara’s
Even longer  if I ditched a class here or there

I took that time whenever I could
Feasting on the freedom hungrily
Breathing in the air of every record store
Bookshop, thrift store and pizza joint
 
Exploring every inch of ground
From Hotel Congress to U of A
Shredding every angled wall
Chasing every rumor of abandoned pools

Running like an escaped animal 
From a zookeeper’s oppression

No comments:

Post a Comment